Saturday, September 20, 2014

And then there were THREE

After 41 long weeks, our beautiful baby, Kinley Eilene Pulsipher, has decided to grace us with her presence. Weighing in at 7 lbs 15 oz and 21 inches long, she truly is perfect! With as terrible as my memory is, I wanted to make sure to record my memory of this day so that I could forever remember the first time I became a mom, and Kenny and I together became parents to Kinley. This is our story.



Sept. 2, 2014, the day I had been waiting for for 9 long months, Kinley's due date, came and went. Dishardened at the fact that I wasn't having any real contractions yet and that I had been dilated to barely 1 cm for almost a month with no progression, I was worried Kinley was just a little too comfortable in her cocoon. My OBGYN made several attempts to induce my labor naturally by stripping my membrane and setting up an appointment for me to go into the hospital on Saturday (4 days over due)  and Sunday (5 days over due) so that they could put gels in me to try and soften my cervix. Neither of these worked, but thankfully I was relieved knowing that the doctors wouldn't let me go longer then a week over my due date, so the end of my pregnancy was drawing near.

On Monday, Sept. 8 (6 days over due) I was put on a waiting list at the hospital to be induced. This was the weirdest thing to me. It was like I was at a fast food restaurant and had placed my order, "One Baby Kinley please," and now I was just waiting for my order to be ready. The hospital had told us that they could call anytime on Monday starting at 12:00 am and that if I didn't get called at all, then I would definitely be called on Tuesday. "Oh great!" I thought, " Just my luck, I'm for sure not getting the call!" Sunday night I made sure that my bags were perfectly packed with everything that we could possibly need for our stay in the hospital and then I received I beautiful Priesthood blessing from Kenny, with my dad assisting. With those essential things done, I fell asleep with my phone on the Highest volume so that I would wake up if the hospital called while we were sleeping. 

The sun rose without any calls from the hospital. Thinking that this whole process was going to take forever, Kenny left for his internship and I just hung around the house. Around 11:30 I went into my room and was just kind of getting ready when all of a sudden my phone rang. I saw the Unknown Number and I'm pretty sure that my heart did a flip flop. I answered and they told me to come on in! I was of course frantic and rushed my mom and dad into the car as fast as possible so that we could get this party started. I called Kenny and told him that I'd call him once I got hooked up so that he could come then.



We ended up getting to Shea Hospital at 12:30 and by 1:00 I was in my room, waiting for my pitocin. This whole process was surreal to me, so I'm thankful that my mom was with me the whole time so that I could somewhat focus and get my head out of the clouds. Pretty soon I was all hooked up to the machines and starting my Group B antibiotics and Pitocin. Well, with all the madness that was happening, I wasn't doing to best job at texting my worried husband back while he was still at his internship, so he left and turned up at the hospital around 2:00. 

My doctor, Tami Dairiki, showed up soon after to see how I was progressing, but sadly I was still just one measly centimeter. To my surprise, she decided to break my water so that I would start to progress a little faster. I think the term "break your water" is very misleading because it felt and looked like a damn had broken and the floods came! This really kicked my labor into gear. Within a few more hours, I was really feeling the pressure and I asked for an epidural. I have to admit that I was terrified for this part, but the decision to get an epidural was definitely the way to go. I felt as if those drugs were heaven sent so that I could relax and feel comfortable as my body did its magic. I soon fell asleep, completely relaxed and not feeling like I needed 1,000 pillows in order to do so, which was a huge relief since I felt that way my entire pregnancy.




Minutes turned into hours and hours turned into Tuesday as we anxiously awaited our little girl. Every hour the sweet nurses came in and made me move so that Kinley would turn over (face down) in my tummy so that the labor would go smoother. Finally, at 10:00 am the nurse came in to check me and Vwa la, there was Kinley's head! The nurse ran out and called my doctor and rounded up more nurses for the delivery. At this point I was freaking out, having mixed emotions of really wanting Kinley in my arms but not sure if I was ready for labor. Within ten minutes everyone was there and ready and it was time to push. In the middle of pushing it began to rain and I couldn't help but think that the earth was being cleansed in preparation of Kinley, a precious child of God, to come to the earth. At 10:45, after 35 minutes of pushing and 23 hours in the hospital, Kinley was here! I couldnt have done it without all of the loving support from Kenny who was by my side, helping me the entire time.




Words cannot describe all of the emotions and feelings that overcame me once Kinley was laid onto my chest for the first time, She was perfect, I was her mama and life would never again be the same. After this, time began to tick away much quicker as they cleaned her up and the nurses checked to make sure that she was healthy. Soon after, my mom came in and then my dad and sister Jenny soon followed. It was so great to be surrounded by family and to feel all of their love and support.






We stayed in the hospital for 2 days and those days were so precious to me. It was a time for Kenny and I to really just be together and soak up every bit of Kinley. It was during these two days that I got to see my loving husband naturally transform into a father for the first time. Seeing him loving Kinley and holding her so tenderly made my heart melt. I felt like I was not only falling in love with my new baby girl, but for her daddy all over again. I am so grateful for the decision I made to marry him a year and a half ago! Best decision I have ever made.



Life at home is as good as ever. We are all learning together and I am more then ever convinced that there is a Premortal Life and that we knew Kinley before coming to this earth. There is no other way that I could possibly love her this much! 


No comments:

Post a Comment